For anyone considering upgrading to Lion Server, check out this pdf from Apple titled, “Lion Server Upgrading and Migrating.” There are some significant changes under the hood to some of the core features included in Snow Leopard Server.
Check out page 5, “What’s new in Lion Server.”
Lion Server has major changes in several key areas:
- Lateral Migrations: The migration of Lion Server to Lion Server is supported.
- Server app Services are administrated by the new Server app.
- PostgreSQL: MySQL is replaced with PostgreSQL.
- Tomcat: Support for Tomcat is removed from Lion Server.
- Axis: Support for Axis is removed from Lion Server.
- Mobile Access: Support for Mobile Access is removed from Lion Server.
- Print service: Print service is replaced with CUPS.
- QuickTime Streaming Server (QTSS): Support for QTSS is removed from Lion Server.
As with any server upgrade or migration, make sure there isn’t any mission critical service(s) that will be broken or missing by migrating to Lion Server.
The replacement of MySQL with PostgreSQL and the removal of Tomcat will probably affect a lot of folks.